The Council of the Dedicated Members held an Extraordinary Meeting on 20 April 2006
The Executive Council of the Brotherhood of Blessed Gérard decided in its meeting on 10 August 2006 to nominate Miss Susanne Stauffer as the new Vice-Manager and Mrs. Caroline Beaumont as a member of the Management Committee of the Brotherhood of Blessed Gérard and Blessed Gérard’s Care Centre.
Clare Kalkwarf will be looking down from heaven with a big smile on her face
and we truly attribute it to her intercession for us, that there are major new developments of our work partly planned and partly already happening:
1. Since Clare’s death we have employed nine new staff members (Fikile Khumalo, Silindile Buthelezi, Silindile Mngomezulu, Nicole Aralandi and Fikile Mthembu as child caregivers, Nomusa Nxumalo and Zandile Mkhwamubi as enrolled nurses, Carolyn Nunn as a secretary and Dr. Mdletshe as a medical practitioner) Welcome to all of you!
2. We have advertised the new positions of a Social worker (to work especially for Blessed Gérard’s Children’s Home and Blessed Gérard’s Hospice), a nursing tutor (to continuously teach home based carers courses, caregiver courses and HAART readiness courses), an Educator (as a deputy for Miss Stauffer at Blessed Gérard’s Children’s Home) and a personal assistant to the director (as Mrs Shirley Meyer was promoted as bookkeeping assistant).
3. We have already blessed and opened additions to Blessed Gérard’s Children’s Home, i.e. a new dining room and a new study room (see article above!)
4. We have decided to build another addition to Blessed Gérard’s Care Centre to create space for a pharmacy, an office for the nursing tutor and a consulting room and office for the Social Worker, accommodation for the Educator, an office for the Personal Assistant to our director and a file room. The building plans are about to be finalised and submitted to the local authorities and we expect to start building early next year.
5. Father Herfried Holzgassner O.S.B. of Inkamana Abbey will have moved into our Care Centre by the time this newsletter is printed. He will work full time as our new Hospice Chaplain and thus take some workload off Fr. Gérard’s shoulders. Wholeheartedly welcome, Father!
6. Blessed Gérard’s Children's Home is now full to capacity - housing 40 children - and the government Social Workers are trying to help us to place some of the children back in their families, who just came to us for a supposedly short while.
7. Blessed Gérard’s Pre-Primary School and Crèche in Whebede was designed for 30 places, but is attended by 42 children. We watch the development with vigilant eyes as we have the space to double the capacity if necessary.
This page is part of the Newsletter No. 26 of the Brotherhood of Blessed Gérard
Back to the homepage of the Brotherhood of Blessed
This page was last updated on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 12:50:18